Saturday 7 May 2016

Donna Karan Vogue 1259 a really easy skirt

One of the great advantages of having daughters is that one has suitable victims whom are forced to wear ones sewing output opportunities to try out patterns that might not be quite suitable for one's own age and figure. I must admit, that when I bought this Donna Karan pattern, I was intruiged by the construction of these pieces, but could not envisage myself wearing these lovely, but body conscious pieces. However, I don't like making things that no one wears. Its a conundrum.
So last weekend, when my younger daughter was visiting, she discussed with me an upcoming job interview and  her need for a new skirt, I laid cunning plans. She had every intention of making herself a skirt.
I provided her with a few Burda magazines, and a pile of envelope patterns, and snuck Vogue 1259 into the pile.
DSC06504
I was quite unsurprised when this outfit took her fancy.
She, however, did some fast talking. This pattern, she pointed out, was rated Advanced, and she felt that her sewing skills were not quite up to it.
I glanced over the instructions and provided encouragement. No, she said, definitely Too Hard. So we came to an agreement. She would trace out the pattern for the skirt, and also for another skirt that she felt would be easier to sew, and I would sew up the Donna Karan skirt for her, whilst she sewed the more traditional straight skirt herself
 DSC06499
Now dear readers, I have a confession. There is no way that this skirt is Advanced. One simply gathers two edges of the knit fabric, stabilizes one end, and sews the skirt into a tube, overlapping the unfinished, gathered edges. I used a cotton lycra medium weight knit. The only construction element with any trickiness at all is sewing the top of the tube without catching the underneath of the tube under the presser foot.
DSC06496
Then, you sew an elastic casing for the waist, and hem the skirt ( I used a coverstitch, which may have involved some wrestling with my machine). 30 minutes, maximum.
DSC06495
She is very pleased with the skirt. She didn't sew the other one for herself. Was I conned? Possibly...but it might be mutual.

I am very pleased that I was able to try out this pattern, and that she did all the tracing out (dull) and the cutting out (slightly less dull, but not my favourite part of sewing).
DSC06501 
DSC06494
I'm impressed with the design of the piece, unlike many "designer" patterns, its not a run of the mill garment, but its unique elements are not bizzare. It looks terrific on a fit 18 year old, and is a wearable, versatile garment.
 
It is an interesting design, and very, very easy to sew. The top might be another story!

16 comments:

SewCraftyChemist said...

It is fantastic. And it looks absolutely amazing on her!!!!

Vicki said...

Looks great - well done mum.

Anonymous said...

nice job, both on the suggesting and the sewing. I am totally with you on the joy of sewing for daughters with a good sense of style and the confidence to wear interesting designs!

SewRuthie said...

cute skirt and gorgeous daughter!

Summer Flies said...

Oh, this is what my son and I coin "the double do!". It's either win/win or con/con sounds like it's a mix.
I think it looks terrific on her and I wonder why it's rated advanced. Do you think to justify the "designer" Vogue price? Maybe the top is advanced?? I like Donna Karan patterns though, some thought and really some design elements to them.

lin3arossa said...

Good job!
I remember Tany writing the top is the advanced piece.

lin3arossa said...

Good job!
I remember Tany writing the top is the advanced piece.

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

This is just fabulous.

Fabrickated said...

What an interesting pattern - your post wants to make me try although I know it would look terrible on me. I love the blouse too. It's a very cool outfit - smart but also so interesting. No wonder she didn't bother with a straightforward one.

katherine h said...

Gorgeous skirt. Sounds like a win all round.

liza jane said...

It's awesome. She looks fantastic in it!

Sue said...

That is so cute and win-win the pattern got used. :)

Sharon said...

Amazing skirt and your daughter looks very pleased with it. I purchased the pattern for the top, still to be made up.

Gail said...

It doesn't matter how hard it was to make, the outcome looks complicated! Love this skirt on your daughter.

Gabrielle said...

That skirt shape is a knockout on your daughter, and even if it wasn't a tricky sew it looks really clever. A double win for sure - she can make that boring old straight skirt another time...

Carolyn said...

It looks fabulous on her! You are a good mum :) such a beautifully chic design and looks very elegant for work; just gorgeous for her with her lovely figure. ;