I am still sewing daughter clothes. She needs office type clothes for the clinical part of her University course, so I thought I would try for a fitted blouse, and conveniently make something I could enter in the fitted blouse challenge at Pattern Review, run by Velosewer. I was inspired by Velosewer's parade of beautiful blouses, and thought I really should work out the Vogue fitting for my daughter, now that she is all grown up.
Being not terribly fond of fitting adjustments, I am a big fan of the trend for multi-cup size patterns.
Vogue 8747 has seperate pattern pieces for the centre and side front panels for size A, B, C and D (not just an A/B, then C then D, like some other patterns that pretend they have all these different fits). This makes the pattern very useful for our family, where none of us is a standard, no adjustment needed B cup, but we manage to cover all the other cup sizes in the pattern.
This blouse is a size 8, A.
The pattern has 3+ inches of ease at the bust, and 2 inches of ease at the waist and hips, according to the printed measurements. This means that using Vogue's own description of the ease in fitted blouses, this blouse is "fitted" at the bust, and "close fitting" at the waist and hips. I find it a bit strange that a blouse that has particular fitting adjustments at the bust should be loose at the bust relative to the waist and hips. For my daughter's blouse I added a further inch of ease to the waist and hips for fitting consistency.
Unfortunately, this was not a choice in the right direction. I should have removed an inch at the bust for fitting consistency instead!
My only other fitting adjustment was to make a 1.5 cm square shoulder adjustment, half each at the front and back shoulder seam.
I am happy with the shoulder fit, and the neckline sits very nicely, with no gaping even when leaning forward - just as well, as it is rather low cut for a work blouse.
I had some fun with the stripe direction, cutting the side panels on the bias, and also by adding piping to either side of the shaped front band.
The blouse is made from a very crisp shirting cotton, that does not
photograph well, but it makes a smart, fresh looking work blouse and
both my daughter and I are quite happy with it.
Stashbusting statistics 1.6m shirting cotton, Michael's fabrics, 2010